Artist Visa Lawyer NYC

You are an artist or other creative who needs a visa to come to the U.S. You are not alone, and we can help you.


Many foreign artists, actors, musicians, dancers, writers, painters, and other visual and performing artists come to the U.S. to practice their craft and pursue their dreams. They as well as our nation benefit from their contribution to our culture and the arts. 


Elektra B. Yao is an artist visa lawyer in NYC that can help you pursue your artistry anywhere in the U.S. by helping you secure the right visa for you. Contact us today to discuss your plans to come to the U.S.

Why Choose the Yao Law Group to Help You With Your Visa?

Elektra B. Yao, Esq. is the founder and principal attorney at Yao Law Group law firm dedicated to international and domestic artists. As a multicultural attorney with immigrant parents from Italy and Cote D’Ivoire, Elektra is fully fluent in French, Italian, and Spanish. She has lived, studied, and worked in the U.S. as well as internationally in the European Union and Africa. 


Elektra is an artist herself, having written, directed, and produced two documentaries (N*gga What? and The Choking Game) which were screened in Texas and New York City. While in college, she worked for MTV, the Style Network, and other distinguished production companies in the film and television industry.

Not only does Elektra understand the language artists speak, she understands the cultural and artistic landscape of where they come from. Take advantage of her global experience and small-firm level of personal attention to obtain your visa. 

We Don’t Just Procure Visas - We Create Relationships with Our Clients

Elektra and her team can help you with even the most challenging visa application. Don’t take her word for it – read what her many satisfied visa clients have to say

More importantly, once you have your visa and are here, Elektra and her team can also help you identify and capture business opportunities in your artistic and creative field.

NYC Artist Visa Lawyer to Help You with the Business of the Arts

We help domestic and international creatives and artists with choice of business entity, copyrighting their work, trademark and brand creation and protection, establishing strategic career strategies for long term success, and creating binding contracts and closing deals.


We also help artists and creatives to craft a website that is legally-compliant with federal, state and local rules and regulations regarding advertising and consumer protection, for example, by helping write effective and compliant privacy and other disclaimers.

Visa Options for Artists and Creatives Coming to the U.S.

There are different types of visas available to artists and each addresses whether the artist is visiting the U.S. temporarily, moving to the U.S. for the duration of the project, or seeking to stay in the U.S. indefinitely. Also, the visa an artist needs will depend upon the activity they will engage in in the U.S. Our artist visa lawyer works to ensure you apply for the correct visa and that your application is complete and correct.

Visas for Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

The O-1 non-immigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.

The O non-immigrant visa sub-classifications are:

  • O-1A: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (not including the arts, motion pictures or television industry).
  • O-1B: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.
  • O-2: individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist, or athlete to assist in a specific event or performance. 

The O-2’s assistance must be an “integral part” of the O-1B’s ’s activity, or must be “essential” to the completion of the O-1B’s production. An O-2 worker has critical skills and experience with the O-1 that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1.

  • O-3 for dependents (family): Someone who holds an O-1 or O-2 visa may obtain O-3 visas for their spouse and their unmarried children under the age of 21 to accompany them to the United States.

Visas for Artists or Entertainers Coming to the U.S. to Perform in a Culturally-Unique Program

Artists require a P-3 visa to come to the U.S. temporarily to perform, teach, or coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally unique.

Visas for Representatives of Foreign Media

The I Nonimmigrant visa is for those who:
  • Represent a foreign information media outlet, such as press, radio, film, or other foreign information media.
  • Are coming to the United States to engage solely in this profession, and
  • Have a home office in a foreign country.

Who We Represent and Help Get Visas

Our immigration team has experience working with visa applicants from creative industries and the visual and performing arts:

Our NYC Immigration Team Helps Performers Get Visas

  • Performance Artists
  • Dancers
  • Comedians
  • Singers
  • Musicians
  • Cabaret performers
  • Models

NYC Lawyer to Help Creators, Designers, and Visual Artists Get Visas

  • Composers
  • Tattoo artists
  • Painters
  • Sculptors
  • Visual artists
  • Graphic designers
  • Installation artists
  • Photographers
  • Art restorers
  • Fashion designers
  • Jewelry designers
  • Violin restorers
  • Instrument makers
  • Chefs
  • IT Specialists
  • UX designers
  • Architects
  • Engineers

NYC Attorney to Help Those in Theater, Film, and Television Get Visas

  • Actors
  • Voice-over artists
  • TV hosts
  • Screenplay writers
  • Choreographers
  • Set Designers
  • Directors
  • Cinematographers
  • Producers
  • Sound designers and sound engineers
  • Lighting designers
  • Stylists
  • Animators

Lawyer in NYC to Help Entertainment Industry Professionals Get Visas

  • Branding specialists
  • Art appraisers
  • Record Labels
  • Entertainment law firms
  • Agents
  • Talent management
  • Modeling agencies
  • Curators
  • Museums
  • Art Galleries

Attorney in NYC to Help Writers Get Visas

  • Poets
  • Novelists
  • Screenwriters
  • Copywriters
  • Songwriters

NYC Immigration Lawyer Helps Artists and Other Creatives Get Visas

Our immigration team has a long successful association with visa applicants from the world of arts and the creative industries from as far afield as Asia, the Middle East, the Europe Union, and Africa. We represent both individual and corporate clients.


Our expertise in working with people of extraordinary ability from around the world means that we can strategize and determine the right course of action to take with even the most unusual and challenging visa applications. And then, once you are here, we can help you monetize your artistry by identifying and capturing business opportunities and maintaining compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.


Call us today to talk about your visa application, and we will go from there! 

Your Future Starts Now!
Download our FREE E-Book about everything you need to know about the O-1/Artist Visa

Award-Winning Artist Visa Lawyer and Entertainment Lawyer in New York City

Scroll to Top
Call Now Button