Immigration Lawyer NJ

Coming to and staying in this country legally is not easy, especially if you try to do it on your own. If you’re looking for an immigration lawyer in NJ to guide you through the complex immigration process contact the Yao Law Group for help. We are conveniently located in Clifton, Passaic County, NJ. We also offer virtual consultations.


At Yao Law Group, our consultations are “strategy sessions” because in addition to analyzing your current immigration situation, we provide strategic immigraiton solutions , and  discuss your goals for obtaining legal status in the US. We make sure you are set up to achieve those goals, whether they are doing business in the U.S., working in the U.S., joining your family or having your family join you in the U.S., defending against a deportation order, or becoming a citizen.


Let us help you forge a clear path to your immigration goals. Contact us to schedule your strategy session today.

Our NJ Immigration Lawyers Help With Issues Such As:

Marriage-based Green Card

A marriage green card allows a spouse of a U.S. citizen or U.S. green card holder (Legal Permanent Resident or LPR) to live and work anywhere in the United States. A marriage green card holder will have “permanent resident” status, and after three years of residence in the U.S. they are eligible to apply for U.S. Citizenship if they wish. 


If you and your spouse are no longer together, you may be eligible for a marriage waiver.

Work Visas

We handle all types of work visa applications, including O-1, O-1A, O-1B, O-2, O-3, H-1B, E-3, L-1, TN, and others.  If you need a visa lawyer in NJ, contact us to schedule your strategy session. Read what our satisfied visa clients have to say about working with us.

Investor and Entrepreneur Visas

E-2 Visa 

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country to be admitted to the United States when investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.


E-3 Visa

The E-3 visa is similar in many respects to the H-1B visa  and applies to Citizens of Australia who are offered employment in the U.S. in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation requires the application of specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of work experience.



Foreign investors in U.S. companies investing a minimum amount are eligible for this visa.


Our immigration lawyers guide you through the many steps of the naturalization process, which can take about fifteen months to complete. 


Yao Law Group is experienced in helping individuals secure US citizenship even if they have been previously denied.

Deportation Defense

If you are facing deportation, also called “removal,” we can help. Immigration lawyer Elektra Yao will work with you to explore any possible defenses to removal and advocate on your behalf.

Asylum & Refugee Status

If you seek asylum in the U.S., an immigration lawyer can help you show that you are being persecuted or fear persecution in your home country due to your race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group. Keep in mind that you must apply for asylum within one year of arriving in the U.S.


Refugees must similarly show that they are persecuted or fear persecution in their home country, and must submit an application to be granted refugee status and be eligible for government assistance. U.S. refugees are granted permanent residency within a year of arrival and can apply for U.S. citizenship after five years.

Humanitarian Visas

Humanitarian visas are granted for urgent humanitarian reasons to people who would otherwise not be able to enter the United States. 


U visas and T visas are granted to victims of certain crimes such as human trafficking. The process for obtaining U visas and T visas involves a level of cooperation with prosecuting authorities. 


Derivative U and T Visas may be granted to certain family members of a U visa recipient, who are then eligible to live and work in the United States. These include:


  • Unmarried children under the age of 21; 
  • Spouse; 
  • Parents of U visa petitioners under age 21, and;
  • Unmarried siblings under 18 years old of U visa petitioners under age 21.


A T visa holder may also petition for a derivative visa for their Adult or minor children of certain immediate family members.

VAWA self-petition for spouses of US citizens or Green Card Holders

The Violence Against Women Act, or VAWA, gives abused spouses and children of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents who are living in the U.S. the right to “self-petition” for lawful permanent resident status (a U.S. green card).


If you are in an abusive relationship and need a green card, NJ immigration lawyer Elektra Yao can help you. Call us for your strategy session.

Schedule a Strategy Session with an Immigration Lawyer in NJ

How do you choose the best immigration lawyer for you? How do you know that you need an immigration lawyer?


If you are asking these questions, you are not alone. Immigration law is complex and difficult to navigate for everyone, even for lawyers who don’t specialize in immigration law. You want an experienced immigration lawyer by your side who knows you, knows what you want to achieve in coming to this country, and knows how to help you achieve those goals.


NJ immigration lawyer Elektra Yao will work with you to make sure all procedural and filing requirements are met, and give you the best chance of coming to or remaining in the U.S. Call us today to schedule your strategy session.

Immigration FAQ

Can You Fight a Deportation Order?

Yes. You must file an appeal with the Board of Immigration Appeals within 30 days of the date of the immigration judge’s deportation order.

How Long Does it Take to Get Political Asylum?

Obtaining asylee status in the U.S. can take anywhere from six months to several years, depending upon the facts of your claim whether you are applying for asylum affirmatively or defensively.

What is the Process of Getting a Marriage Green Card?

Getting a marriage green card is a three step process:


  1. Establish the marriage relationship (Form I-130).
  2. Apply for the green card (Form I-485 or Form DS-260).
  3. Attend the green card interview and await approval of your application.

Can an immigration lawyer help if I’ve also committed a crime?

Yes, if your criminal defense attorney does not handle the immigration implications of your crime, you could be deported. Working with an immigration lawyer and working out a plea deal that preserves your immigration status is paramount.

Why Should I Hire an Immigration Lawyer?

A good immigration lawyer is an expert on the process and all of the red tape between you and your immigration goals. Not only can an immigration lawyer help you come to and stay in this country legally, but can help you find legal work.

What Are the Different Types of Immigration?

Immigration lawyers can help with all types of immigration issues, whether it is business-based immigration, family immigration, removal defense and deportation defense, applying for a humanitarian visa, or applying for asylum.

What Are the Different Types of Immigration Interviews?

There are several types of immigration interviews. The most common are the marriage-based interviews and the asylum interview.

What Questions Will Be Asked in an Immigration Interview?

The questions you will be asked in an immigration interview depend upon the type of interview you are having. If you are being interviewed for a marriage green card, you can expect to be asked about personal details about your spouse and your spouse’s family, and details about your relationship to confirm the marriage. 


If you are interviewed for asylum, you can expect to be asked about the circumstances of your persecution in your home country.

How Does the Immigration Process Work if My Spouse is Located Abroad?

A spouse who is living abroad will attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country, rather than in the U.S. The U.S.-based spouse does not attend this interview.

How Long Does a Work Permit Last?

An immigration work permit lasts only one year, and you can renew your work permit as early as 180 days before your current work permit expires.

How Can I Renew My Work Permit?

You can file for a renewal work permit by submitting a new Form I-765 along with the filing fee, unless you request a fee waiver and the waiver is approved.

Can I Enter the U.S. Again After I’ve Been Deported?

Perhaps, after a period of time has passed. Most deportees are subject to a ten-year ban, but the band can be five, ten, 20, or permanent depending upon the circumstances of your deportation.

What Should I Do if My Immigrant Visa Expired Before I Traveled to the U.S.?

Contact the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa.

What Are the Deadlines for Immigration Applications?

They vary each month. Current adjustment of status filing charts can be found here.

How Can I Work in the US?

There are several ways to work legally in the U.S.: employment-related green cards, which carry permanent residency; exchange visitor work and study visas, and; seasonal and temporary worker visas. 

What are Different Types of Employment Based Green Cards?

First preference (EB-1) – priority workers:

  • Aliens with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics;
  • Aliens who are outstanding professors and researchers, or;
  • Certain multinational managers and executives.

Second preference (EB-2) – aliens who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or who have exceptional abilities. 

Third preference (EB-3) – Aliens who are skilled workers or professionals.

How Can I Invest in the US as a Foreigner?

You do not have to be a citizen or a resident of the U.S. to trade in the U.S. stock market, and there are many platforms to do so online.


E-2 Visa, E-1 Visa, EB-5  Visa

Can I open a company and work in my company in the U.S.?

Yes, you do not need to be a citizen or a resident of the U.S. to do business in the U.S. You can even register your business in the U.S. as a foreigner.

What are different types of work visas?

The most common types of U.S. work visas are:

  • L-1 Intracompany Transferee
  • O-1 “Extraordinary Ability” Visas
  • TN Visas for citizens of Mexico and Canada
  • E-1 And E-2 Treaty Visas
  • E-3 Australian Specialty Occupation Visas
  • H-1B
  • H2-B
  • P-3
Your Future Starts Now!
Download our FREE E-Book about everything you need to know about the O-1/Artist Visa

Award-Winning Artist Visa Lawyer and Entertainment Lawyer in New York City

Scroll to Top
Call Now Button